Terms of ServiceLast updated January 13, 2015
THESE TERMS CONTAIN WARRANTY DISCLAIMERS AND OTHER PROVISIONS THAT LIMIT THE LIABILITY OF ZINIO. PLEASE READ THESE TERMS IN THEIR ENTIRETY.
1. Description Of ServiceThe Service is operated by Zinio, and includes the Site through which you order, subscribe to and receive various digital magazines and other publications, content and products (collectively, the "Publications"). Use of the Zinio Reader software is also subject to the Zinio Reader License Agreement.
2.Your AccountCertain portions of the Service are available only to individuals who have registered with and obtained a password from Zinio. By registering with Zinio, you certify that you are at least 18 years of age. You may not provide or use a password, email address, or any other information of anyone else in connection with the Services. You agree to provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself when you register with or order Publications from Zinio, and to maintain and promptly update that information to keep it true, accurate, current and complete. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and password and for restricting access to your computer, and you agree to accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your account, including the selection, licensing and use of all content and services.
3. User ConductYou may only use the Service for lawful purposes and in accordance with these Terms, any operating rules established by Zinio from time to time and the Zinio Reader License Agreement. Zinio reserves the right to refuse service, terminate accounts, or cancel orders at any time in its sole discretion, including, without limitation, based on any activity by a subscriber in violation of these Terms or applicable laws and regulations.
4.International UsersThe Service is controlled, operated and administered by Zinio from its offices and servers located within the United States of America. If you access the Service from a location outside the United States, you are responsible for compliance with all applicable local laws and regulations. You agree that you will not use the Service or any Publications accessed through the Service in any country or in any manner prohibited by the United States Export Administration Act or any other applicable laws or regulations.
5. Intellectual PropertyAll content included as part of the Service, such as text, graphics, logos, button icons, images, as well as compilations thereof, and all software used on the Site, is the property of Zinio or its suppliers or licensors, and is protected by United States law and applicable international laws and treaties, including without limitation copyright and other laws and treaties that protect intellectual property and proprietary rights. You agree to observe and abide by all such applicable laws and treaties, and to not alter, obscure or remove any copyright and other proprietary notices, legends (whether outlining restrictions on use or otherwise) contained in any such content.
Each third-party content provider owns the copyright in and to all content original to it, including without limitation the Publications delivered or otherwise made available to you through the Service. Except as permitted by the Publication's lawful owner, you acknowledge that you do not acquire any ownership rights in a Publication by downloading a Publication accessed through the Service.
Except as explicitly required under applicable copyright laws and treaties or permitted by the features of the Service and Zinio Reader software, you may not modify, reverse engineer, publish, transmit, display, participate in the transfer or sale, create derivative works of, or in any way commercially exploit or provide to a third party access to the content of the Site, the Publications, or any portion of them without the express permission of Zinio and the owner of such content.
We do not grant you any licenses, express or implied, to the intellectual property of Zinio or our licensors except as expressly authorized by these Terms or the Zinio Reader License Agreement.
6. Third-Party ContentZinio is a distributor (not a publisher) of the Publications. Accordingly, we have no editorial control over the Publications. Any opinions, advice, statements, services, offers or other information or content expressed or made available by third parties, including those made in Publications offered by the Service, are those of the respective author(s) or publisher(s) and not of Zinio. Zinio does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of all or any portion of any Publication or any services or offers made by third parties, nor will we be liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on information contained in any Publication, or your use of services offered, or your acceptance of any offers made through the Service or the Publications.
The Service may contain links to other Internet sites and third-party resources. Zinio does not assume any responsibility or liability for communications or materials available through such linked sites. These links are provided for your convenience only. You are solely responsible for understanding any terms and conditions that may apply when you visit or place an order for products or services through, or otherwise use a third-party site.
7. Modifications To ServiceWe reserve the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Service (or any part thereof) with or without notice. You agree that Zinio shall not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Service.
8. Disclaimer Of WarrantiesTHE SERVICE AND ALL PUBLICATIONS ARE PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS. ZINIO, ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, LICENSORS AND AGENTS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, NEITHER ZINIO NOR ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS, PUBLISHERS, LICENSORS OR AGENTS, MAKES ANY WARRANTY THAT (A) THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS, (B) THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE, (C) THE INFORMATION THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE USE OF THE SERVICE OR THAT MAY BE CONTAINED IN THE PUBLICATIONS WILL BE ACCURATE OR RELIABLE, OR (D) THE QUALITY OF ANY PUBLICATIONS OR THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS.
YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR OBTAINING AND MAINTAINING RELIABLE INTERNET CONNECTIVITY. ZINIO IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR INABILITY TO DOWNLOAD OR OTHERWISE ACCESS CONTENT.
ANY MATERIAL DOWNLOADED OR OTHERWISE OBTAINED THROUGH THE USE OF THE SERVICE IS DONE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OR USE OF ANY SUCH MATERIAL.
NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM ZINIO OR THROUGH OR FROM THE SERVICE SHALL CREATE ANY WARRANTY.
9. Limitation Of LiabilityTO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, NEITHER ZINIO NOR ITS AFFILIATES, SUPPLIERS LICENSORS, OR AGENTS BE LIABLE UNDER ANY THEORY OF LAW, FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, THE AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF ZINIO FOR CLAIMS ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE OR PUBLICATIONS OR OTHERWISE SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE FEES PAID BY YOU TO ZINIO FOR THE PORTION OF THE SERVICE OR PUBLICATION GIVING RISE TO THE CLAIM.
10. IndemnificationYou agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless Zinio, its licensors, suppliers and any third-party content providers and their respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against all claims, losses, expenses, damages and costs, including attorney's fees, arising out of or resulting from (a) your use of the Service or the Publications, (b) your violation of these Terms, or (c) any activity related to your account (including negligent or wrongful conduct) by you or any other person accessing the Service or the Publications using your account.
11. MonitoringZinio retains the right, but not the obligation, to monitor the Service to determine compliance with these Terms and any operating rules established by Zinio, to insure accurate and proper delivery and functionality of the Services, and to satisfy any law, regulation or authorized government request. Without limiting the foregoing, we retain the right to remove any content that we, in our sole discretion, find to be in violation of the provisions hereof or otherwise objectionable or in breach of Zinio's or its licensors' obligations.
12. TerminationZinio may terminate the Service at any time. Without limiting the foregoing, Zinio may, in its sole discretion and without liability, terminate your password, or use of the Service for any reason, including, without limitation, if Zinio believes that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of these Terms. Any termination of your access to the Service under any provision of these Terms may be effected without prior notice, and Zinio may immediately deactivate or delete your account and all related information and/or bar any further access to the Service. Sections 2, 4, 5, 6 and 8 through 17 shall survive termination of these Terms.
13. Continuous Service ProgramAll subscription orders will include "Continuous Service" which enables you to receive uninterrupted delivery of Publications until you cancel your subscriptions or Z-Pass. You may cancel subscriptions or Z-Pass at any time and, in the case of subscriptions, receive a refund for any unserved issues (see Refund Policy below). With Continuous Service, after all issues of a Publication in your initial subscription period have been served, you will be billed automatically, at the end of your initial subscription period, for the next subscription period in accordance with the then-current offer terms applicable to that Publication as they appear on our Service.
14. Z-PassAll Z-Pass orders will include monthly "Continuous Service" which enables you to receive uninterrupted delivery of your Z-Pass publications until you cancel. A valid credit card is required at the time of registration, and you agree to be billed monthly for this service. You agree to keep all credit card and other required information current.
15. Free TrialsIf you purchase a subscription or Z-Pass that includes a free trial, you will receive free access to Publications during the free trial period. If you cancel the subscription or Z-Pass during the free trial period, you will not be billed. If you do not cancel the subscription or Z-Pass during the free trial period, you will be billed at the end of the free trial period for the first subscription period occurring thereafter applicable to the Publication or Z-Pass that you purchased. Free trials are limited to one per user per Publication.
16. Pricing And TaxAll pricing featured on the Site is exclusive of VAT, GST and sales tax. Purchase transactions will include VAT, GST or sales tax based on your billing address and the tax rates in effect at the time your transaction is completed. Zinio will only charge tax in countries or states where digital goods are taxable. No customers are eligible for the tax exemptions for transactions made on the Service.
All pricing and tax on the Zinio iPad and iPhone apps will follow Apple's iTunes Terms and Conditions.
17. Facebook Connect And Passive SharingYou can register on Zinio using your Facebook account. For security reasons, Zinio will not access your Facebook password. Zinio will only access the Facebook information that you permit to be shared with us in order to facilitate Zinio account creation and to provide you with more targeted communications and promotions. Also, Zinio is compliant with Facebook guidelines and will not publish any reading or sharing action on your Facebook timeline without your permission. You can remove any read action to Facebook from the Zinio website, at any time. If you allow Zinio to publish on your timeline, there will be a delay of 10 seconds before any action is published, and you will be notified when it occurs.
18. MiscellaneousThese Terms, the Zinio Reader License Agreement and the other rules, guidelines, licenses and disclaimers posted on the Site constitute the entire agreement between Zinio and you with respect to your use of the Service and supersede all previous written or oral agreements between us with respect to the subject matter hereof. These Terms shall be governed by the statutes and laws of the State of California, without regard to the conflicts of laws principles thereof, and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Superior Court of San Francisco County and the United States District Court for the Northern District of California with respect to any dispute arising under or relating to your use of the Service or these Terms. No waiver by either party of any breach or default hereunder shall be deemed to be a waiver of any preceding or subsequent breach or default.
20. Safe Harbor FrameworkZinio complies with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework and the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. Zinio has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view Zinio's certification, please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/
21. Our AddressZinio LLC
114 Sansome Street, 4th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94104
Information We CollectZinio collects information from users, which may include personally identifiable information ("Personal Information"), at different points on the Site and through the Service or the Zinio Reader software as follows:
Information You Give UsWe receive and store information you enter on the Site or give us in any other way. This information includes but is not limited to:
- Registration data:
When you register for the Service, we ask that you provide basic contact information such as your name, address, and email address. When you register with your Facebook account, we also ask permission to collect your demographic and location information in order to provide you with more targeted communications and promotions.
- Order data:
When you order Publications through the Service, we collect your purchase and address or billing information, including your credit card number and expiration date. :
- Voluntary information:
We may collect additional information at other times, including but not limited to, when you provide feedback, change your content or email preferences, respond to a survey, or communicate with Zinio customer support.
- Computer and device configuration, identification and location:
We automatically receive and log information from your browser, including but not limited to your IP address, the name and ID of your computer, mobile device and other devices, your operating system, browser type and version, CPU speed, connection speed, and location information based on your IP address and as derived from GPS or similar features on your mobile device and other devices.
- Referral, clickstream, and site interaction data:
We may also record the URL you linked from to get to the Site, your clickstream through and from the Site, and other tracking information. We may also record other sites that you have visited and your viewing habits and patterns.
- Email delivery and open rates:
To help us make our emails more useful and interesting, and to ensure that we are delivering the Publications you have ordered, we often receive a confirmation when you receive and/or open email from Zinio. and when you have read the contents of that email. In addition, we collect offline readership information.
- Software installation, file downloads, and publication access:
When you install the Zinio Reader software or download Publications or other files from the Site, we may record when each file transfer begins and ends and any errors that interrupt the transfer. The Zinio Reader software also records whether or not you downloaded and accessed a given Publication and how long you viewed that Publication.
Information We Get From Other SourcesWe may receive information about you from other sources, add it to your account information and treat it in accordance with this Policy. This information includes but is not limited to:
- Customer and order data from our partners:
If you place an order for a Publication directly with the publisher or another Zinio partner for which we provide fulfillment or another service, your account information and order information is passed to us.
- Updated delivery and address information:
We may obtain updated contact information from third parties in order to correct our records and fulfill your orders or deliver communications to you.
- Demographic and purchase information:
We may reference other sources of demographic and purchase information in order to provide you with more targeted communications and promotions.
How We Use The Information We CollectZinio uses information about you to:
- Deliver the Publications and other products you order or that are sent to you
- Verify access to secure content and your account information
- Determine whether you meet the minimum system requirements for use of the Service
- Provide you tailored content and instructions, renewal options and promotions
- Service your customer support requests
- Ask you to participate in surveys about our products and services
- Offer you Service upgrades
- Better understand, on an anonymous and aggregated basis, how the Service is being used, including Web traffic and reading patterns, so that we may continually improve our Service
How We Share The Information We CollectDepending upon which Publications you subscribe to and on certain contractual obligations on the part of Zinio, we may share your Personal Information as follows:
- Publishers and partners:
Zinio will provide Publishers, and other merchants for whom Zinio sells or distributes Publications or other products, with any Personal Information that is necessary to fulfill your requests for their products, programs or services, or to satisfy other core business functions. In such circumstances, these companies will not use your Personal Information for any other purposes without your consent. In some instances, however, when you subscribe to certain publications, Zinio is contractually obligated to provide your Personal Information to these Publishers. The use of your Personal Information by these Publishers is subject to their privacy policies and these Publishers may send you unsolicited messages as well as provide your information to their partners or to other parties, any of whom may use or share your information in accordance with their policies and procedures. Zinio has no control over their use of your Personal Information.
We may employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf such as fulfilling orders, sending email, processing credit card payments, and providing customer service. These companies or individuals will be provided access to Personal Information needed to perform their functions, but these companies and individuals have agreed or will agree to not use your Personal Information for other purposes.
- Protection of the Site and others:
We release account and other Personal Information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law; to enforce or apply our Terms of Service, the Zinio Reader License Agreement, or other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of the Site, our users, or others.
- Business transfers:
Zinio may transfer Personal Information it collects in connection with a merger, acquisition or sale of all or most of the assets of Zinio related to the Site and/or the Service. You acknowledge that such transfers may occur, and that any acquirer of Zinio may continue to use your Personal Information as set forth in this Policy.
- Trusted third parties:
With your consent, we will make your Personal Information (not including your credit card information) available to trusted third parties who offer products and services we think may be of interest to you so that you can receive information or opportunities related to those products and services. You may update your preference with regard to our sharing your Personal Information for this purpose in the "email preferences" in the "account settings" area of the Site. These third parties with whom we share your Personal Information will use your Personal Information in accordance with their own privacy policies.
- Messages required to service orders you place for Publications and products fulfilled by Zinio:
Zinio will send you email notifying you of the availability of each Publication or other product or service that you order either directly from Zinio or from one of our publisher or other merchant partners.
- Messages required to service your Zinio account:
Zinio may send you the following messages: (a) for newly registered users, a welcoming email;(b) messages confirming each order you place directly on the Site; (c) messages confirming your account changes; (d) messages inviting you to participate in customer surveys; and (e) messages informing you of important product or service updates related to our business.
- Marketing messages about Publications you receive:
We may send you marketing messages related to the Publications you receive including, for example, messages encouraging you to purchase additional single copies or to subscribe to Publications.
- Optional marketing messages from Zinio:
Registered users may also occasionally receive information or special promotions from Zinio about additional Publications, products or services. You may update your preference with regard to receiving such messages in the "email preferences" in the "account settings" area of the Site.
- Optional marketing messages from trusted third parties:
With your consent, Zinio may share your Personal Information (not including your credit card information) with trusted third parties so that you may receive information or opportunities from these third parties about relevant products and services they offer. You may update your preference in the "email preferences" in the "account settings" area of the Site. The use of your Personal Information by these third parties will be subject to their respective privacy policies.
Zinio reserves the right to use and disclose anonymous information, including aggregate information derived from your Personal Information, to inform publishers, partners, and other interested parties as to the usage habits or characteristics of Zinio's user base; and to serve any other business purposes.
Email Communications From Zinio To Our UsersZinio does not send unsolicited email, but we do send email communications to our users in connection with the provision of the Service. The following outlines the types of email Zinio sends to our users and the choices you have about which messages to receive.
Changing or Removing Your InformationTo review or update your Personal Information, or to alter your email preferences, or preferences regarding how we share your Personal Information, go to "email preferences" in the "account settings" area of the Site.
If at any time you would like to close your account, send email to email@example.com.Please be aware that any unfulfilled subscriptions may be canceled without refund and you will have to re-register in order to use the Service. It is your responsibility to request a refund from Zinio or the appropriate merchant.
Security PracticesZinio uses commercially reasonable security methods to protect your Personal Information. Your Personal Information will be stored in a database located behind firewalls and accessible only to authorized personnel. We do not encrypt normal Web sessions, but any transmission to our servers of credit card or other Personal Information uses Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input. Password and credit card information is stored in our database in an encrypted, non-human readable form.
ChildrenZinio does not knowingly collect, either online or offline, Personal Information from persons under the age of thirteen. The Service is only available to persons over the age of 18.
Safe Harbor FrameworkZinio complies with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework and the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. Zinio has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view Zinio's certification, please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/
How To Contact UsIf you have any questions or concerns regarding this Policy or our use of your information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org use the following address:
114 Sansome Street, 4th floor
San Francisco, CA 94104
Refund PolicyLast updated November 11,2014
- Refund policy for credit card purchases on www.zinio.com
Zinio will provide a refund for all unserved issues of Publications to the original credit card used for purchase. Single copy purchases will only be refunded in the event that you are unable to download the issue. Please go to Zinio's help pageto request a refund.
- Refund policy for PayPal purchases on www.zinio.com
Zinio will provide a refund for all unserved issues to your PayPal account within 60 days of purchase. Due to PayPal’s policy, after 60 days all PayPal sales are final.
- Refund policy for all purchases on Zinio iPad and iPhone apps
DUE TO APPLE’S ITUNES STORE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, ALL SALES ARE FINAL. NO REFUNDS WILL BE ISSUED.